Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Palette Coffee Table

I mentioned that I was making our coffee table out of a palette a long time ago and I finally have it done, sort of.  I can't decide if I want to paint the legs or not.  I had Greg put them on unpainted because I didn't want to paint anymore and I didn't want to wait to put the table in our living room anymore.  So it's in and the legs are unpainted and I think I like it.  I just need to finish it with a gloss.  Here are some pictures of it through the process.

Here it is as Greg is taking it apart for me to sand all of it.

Here it is after I have sanded all of it.  Sanding it was a lot of work.  I liked it here and thought about just putting a gloss protective coat over it but in the end I went with Sassy Green.

Painting this monster seemed like it took forever.  We filled in all of the wholes with wood filler and then sanded again. Then we ended up putting 2 coats of primer on it and sanding it lightly again to get off anything that stuck to the paint and to make it smooth.  Then we applied 2 coats of the Sassy Green and again sanded very lightly.  I could only do one side and one coat at a time so it took weeks to paint.
I really like how it turned out.  I was even able to make this cute little hanging for a friend at work for her birthday with left over wood & paint.



1 comment: